Silver Springs Shores Resource Center (SSSRC), a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization, is a “one-stop” solution to the needs of the financially-challenged residents of Silver Springs Shores. We empower families and individuals in the areas of education, finances, health, career and social development by providing resources, programs and services. Silver Springs Shores lies between Ocala and Lake Weir. Shores residents face financial and social challenges which urgently call for SSSRC. Silver Springs Shores has experienced rapid population growth, with approximately 30,000 residents and 10,000 households (in zip code 34472, the primary service area for SSSRC). Thus, it is not surprising that the residents in this area encounter financial challenges in greater proportion than Marion County residents or Floridians as a whole.
According to the 2011 census data for Ocala/Silver Springs Shores:
- The unemployment rate in the Shores was 12.5%, compared with 9.7% across Marion County
- Approximately 20% of Shores residents do not have a high school diploma
- Approximately 75% of the children at the local elementary schools are eligible for free or reduced school lunches
- Almost 20% of Shores residents speak a language other than English at home
- Over 15% of households are headed by single parents
The households in the community on average have low-to-moderate income levels; the recent economic and real estate downturn have negatively impacted all segments of the community. Everyone has the opportunity to take advantage of the programs and services offered by the Resource Center.
One-stop solution empowering families to live responsibly.
SSSRC is a “one-stop” solution to the needs of the financially-challenged children and families of Silver Springs Shores. We empower families and individuals in the areas of education, finances, health, career and social development. The Resource Center equips families with the knowledge, attitudes and skills for responsible living.